gCube is the Software System designed and implemented to enable the building and operation of a Service Oriented Infrastructure supporting the definition of Virtual Research Environments (VREs).
It is equipped with a rich array of "mediators" making it possible the exploitation of services and facilities offered by others infrastructures including the largest Grid infrastructure currently existing, i.e. the infrastructure operated by European Grid Initiative (EGI) (formerly operated by European Grid for E-sciencE project (EGEE)).
This system has been implemented with the support of the European Commission in the context of a series of projects:
- DILIGENT - A DIgital Library Infrastructure on Grid ENabled Technology (2004-2007);
- D4Science - DIstributed colLaboratories Infrastructure on Grid ENabled Technology for Science (2008-2009);
- D4Science-II - Data Infrastructure Ecosystem for Science (2009-2011);
- iMarine - Data e-Infrastructure Initiative for Fisheries Management and Conservation of Marine Living Resources (2011-ongoing);
- EUBrazilOpenBio - EU-Brazil Open Data and Cloud Computing e-Infrastructure for Biodiversity (2011-2013);
- ENVRI - Common Operations of Environmental Research Infrastructures (2011-ongoing);